Jacqueline G. Veit
Jacqueline (Jackie) Veit is an experienced commercial litigator who has successfully tried, litigated and provided counseling in a wide range of business disputes in state and federal trial and appellate courts, and in arbitration and mediation, throughout the U.S.
Her practice focuses on complex fraud matters, both in the civil and bankruptcy settings; intracompany disputes arising from corporate or asset acquisitions, or among limited liability company members or partners; and management or distribution relationships. Jackie also represents clients in administrative proceedings, and advises and litigates employment matters, particularly in connection with the termination of employment, restrictive covenants and discrimination and retaliation issues.
Jackie has served as an arbitrator (American Arbitration Association).
Complex Fraud Matters
- Represented Chapter 11 trustee pursuing numerous insiders and third parties for participation in debtors’ Ponzi scheme resulting in $140 million loss, fraudulent conveyance claims, and other matters. Realized settlements that resulted in approximate 70% recovery for creditors on an initially insolvent estate.
- Represented client in matters arising from Fyre Festival collapse and resulting fraud claims.
- Obtained dismissal and affirmance on appeal of complaint alleging fraud by investment banking firm and others in sale of $1 billion property.
- Obtained dismissal of fraud complaint in a joint venture by healthcare company.
- Represented managing/majority member and multiple real estate companies in a case by a minority member asserting direct and derivative claims for breach of contract and fiduciary duty, and in a case against a minority member for the same. Following successful motion practice, these matters were resolved via settlement as part of an anticipated business separation.
- Represented the 50% owner of ecommerce company asserting dissolution and derivative and direct claims for breach of fiduciary duty, contract, and business torts; resolved via company buyout.
- Represented members of limited liability company seeking to recover the multi-million dollar value of membership interests arising from a series of complex real estate transactions.
- Representation of security company asserting claims against former officers in context of internal power play.
- Represented a private equity firm in lawsuits against a company with which it invested and its owners for misrepresentation and breach of fiduciary duty.
M&A and General Commercial Matters
- Obtained defense verdict at SDNY trial following successful dismissal of substantial portion of plaintiff’s claim on summary judgment in a case asserting breach of duty to negotiate in good faith arising from a nonbinding letter of intent following the collapse of a potential private equity deal.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal on appeal for a commercial real estate owner and developer in a dispute arising from a claimed $50 million interest in a development project by client’s former attorney.
- Long-standing representation of, and advice to, a manufacturer and national distributor of perishable products, including in lawsuits against distributors, and against a venture partner concerning contract, business tort and indemnity issues.
- Represented a developer of over-the-counter pharmaceutical products in a contract and misappropriation dispute with a product formulator over patent and other rights in developed products; resolved via transfer of rights to client.
- Long-standing representation of, and advice to, real estate investment bank in connection with litigations and arbitrations worldwide involving the firm or its clients
- Obtained the dismissal of a malpractice suit against a foreign law firm for lack of jurisdiction.
- Represented a magazine publisher in $100 million joint venture dispute against Rosie O’Donnell that ended in a two-week, highly publicized bench trial.
- Represented Chapter 11 debtors (nationwide owners of golf courses and entertainment centers) in numerous contested matters, including bench trials.
- Obtained a summary judgment dismissal of complaint alleging wrongful termination of a distributor for a global electronics manufacturer.
- Represented a mineral supplier in a competitor’s antitrust action arising from alleged patent misconduct, resulting in a favorable settlement shortly before trial.
- Represented a European financial institution in obtaining the appointment of a Receiver and assisting in locating and liquidating intellectual property and hard assets of a borrower film company.
Administrative and Guardianship
- Obtained reversal of orders on appeal and remand to new judge in guardianship case.
- Ongoing representation of a trade union in Article 78 court challenges to laws and regulations adversely impacting members, including appeals.
- Obtained emergency injunctive relief from the Appellate Division to enjoin enforcement of new NYC regulation for a national trade association, and represented the trade association in ongoing lawsuit.
- Successfully brought Article 78 proceeding against a judge to obtain written order.
- Defended an employer against claims of retaliation in context of internal power struggle.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a sexual harassment case following week-long jury trial.
- Obtained a defense verdict following a jury trial of an employment termination dispute for an utility service company.
- Provide separation and employment dispute advice.
- Regional Legal Advisor, National Ski Patrol (1998-present)
- Member, Tufts NYC Professional Women’s Networking Group (2015-present)
- Monday Night Legal Advisory Workshop, including as Chair, Association of the Bar of the City of New York (1990-1999)
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- “Navigating the Pre-Litigation Duty to Preserve Emails and Other Records,” Client Alert, June 23, 2015
- Named in Super Lawyers 2020-2023