Jacqueline Veit is an experienced commercial litigator who has successfully tried, litigated and provided counseling in a wide range of business disputes in state and federal trial and appellate courts, and in arbitration and mediation, throughout the U.S. Her practice focuses on complex fraud matters, both in the civil and bankruptcy settings; intracompany disputes arising from corporate or asset acquisitions, or among limited liability company members or partners; and management or distribution relationships. Jackie also represents clients in administrative proceedings, and provides advice and litigates employment matters, particularly in connection with the termination of employment, restrictive covenants and discrimination and retaliation issues.
Jackie serves as an arbitrator (American Arbitration Association).
Complex Fraud Matters
- Representation of Chapter 11 trustee pursuing numerous insiders and third parties for participation in debtors’ Ponzi scheme resulting in $140 million loss, fraudulent conveyance claims, and other matters. Realized settlements that resulted in approximate 70% recovery for creditors on an initially insolvent estate.
- Representation of client in various matters arising from Fyre Festival collapse and resulting fraud claims.
- Obtained dismissal and affirmance on appeal of complaint alleging fraud by investment banking firm and others in sale of $1 billion property.
- Obtained dismissal of fraud complaint in joint venture by healthcare company.
- Representation of 50% owner of ecommerce company asserting dissolution and derivative and direct claims for breach of fiduciary duty, contract, and business torts; resolved via company buyout.
- Representation of members of limited liability company seeking to recover multi-million dollar value of membership interests arising from complex real estate transactions.
- Representation of security company asserting claims against former officers in context of internal power play.
- Representation of private equity firm in lawsuits against company with which it invested and its owners for misrepresentation and breach of fiduciary duty.
General Commercial Matters
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal on appeal for commercial real estate owner and developer in dispute arising from claimed $50 million interest in development project by client’s former attorney.
- Long-standing representation of, and advice to, manufacturer and national distributor of perishable products, including in lawsuits against distributors, and against venture partner concerning contract, business tort and indemnity issues.
- Representation of target company in disputes arising from failed potential equity acquisition.
- Obtained dismissal of malpractice suit against foreign law firm for lack of jurisdiction.
- Representation of many clients in opposing and navigating third-party subpoenas.
- Represented magazine publisher in $100 million joint venture dispute against Rosie O’Donnell that ended in a two-week, highly publicized bench trial.
- Representation of Chapter 11 debtors (nationwide owners of golf courses and entertainment centers) in numerous contested matters, including bench trials.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal of complaint alleging wrongful termination of distributor for global electronics manufacturer.
- Representation of mineral supplier in competitor’s antitrust action arising from alleged patent misconduct, resulting in a favorable settlement shortly before trial.
- Represented European financial institution in obtaining appointment of Receiver and assisting in locating and liquidating intellectual property and hard assets of borrower film company.
Administrative and Guardianship
- Obtained reversal of orders on appeal and remand to new judge in guardianship case.
- Ongoing representation of a trade union in Article 78 court challenges to laws and regulations adversely impacting members, including appeals.
- Obtained emergency injunctive relief from Appellate Division to enjoin enforcement of new NYC regulation for national trade association, and represented same in ongoing lawsuit.
- Successfully brought Article 78 proceeding against judge to obtain written order.
- Defended employer against claims of retaliation in context of internal power play.
- Obtained defense verdict in sexual harassment case following week-long jury trial.
- Obtained defense verdict following jury trial of employment termination dispute for utility service company.
- Provide separation and employment dispute advice.
- Regional Legal Advisor, National Ski Patrol (1998-present)
- Member, Tufts NYC Professional Women’s Networking Group (2015-present)
- Monday Night Legal Advisory Workshop, including as Chair, Association of the Bar of the City of New York (1990-1999)
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- “Navigating the Pre-Litigation Duty to Preserve Emails and Other Records,” Client Alert, June 23, 2015
- Named in Super Lawyers 2020, 2021 and 2022
Education & Honors
- New York University School of Law J. D., Member and Editor, Moot Court Board
- Tufts University, B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Prior Work Experience
- Kaye Scholer LP (now Arnold & Porter LLP)
- State of New York
- State of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey