Matthew T. Weill
Matthew Weill is a corporate attorney concentrating in business and transactional matters for a wide range of clients, including private equity and venture/growth capital funds and their related portfolio companies and investments, with a particular focus on mergers and acquisitions, venture capital and growth equity financings, recapitalizations, joint ventures and other commercial transactions.
In the M&A sector, Matt’s clients include private equity funds and their portfolio companies, independent sponsors, family offices, corporate buyers/sellers, founders/entrepreneurs, and other industry participants. Matt has also counseled senior executives in the context of sales and/or rollover transactions, including the negotiation of employment and equity arrangements.
Matt also routinely counsels entrepreneurs, startup and growth-stage companies, investment funds and investors in connection with the structuring and formation of early stage business ventures, private placements, capital raising transactions, agreements among founders, and employment and equity arrangements with key personnel, as well as general legal and business advice to clients seeking to grow or expand their businesses. In addition, he frequently represents employers and employees in employment, equity and separation matters.
Matt has advised on transactions in numerous industries and sectors, including food, beverage and hospitality, consumer products, software and technology, healthcare and life sciences, financial services, management/business consulting, media, publishing, advertising and marketing, industrial products, entertainment and apparel.
Matt has been recognized as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers magazine and has written and spoken on numerous M&A and transactional topics.
M&A and Private Equity
- Acquisition of a leading manufacturer of pet products and apparel.
- Acquisition of numerous cosmetics businesses.
- Sale and recapitalization of a utilization management and healthcare technology company.
- Sale and recapitalization of a strategy consulting firm.
- Acquisition of a regional distribution and bottling business of a major international beverage brand and related transactions.
- Sale of a leading vacation rental software platform.
- Acquisition and recapitalization of an organizer of conferences, summits and events for senior management personnel.
- Sale of several events-based businesses.
- Acquisition and sale/divestiture of multiple US-based publishing and advertising technology businesses for a UK-based public company.
- Restructuring and sale of a global manufacturer of precision metal, plastic and assembly solutions to a Singapore-based public company.
- Recapitalization and sale transaction involving an exit by existing institutional investors in a leading enterprise labeling software provider.
- Refinancing of, and numerous add-on acquisitions for, a diversified media, technology and information services business.
- Mezzanine debt and equity investment in, and the eventual sale of, a developer of custom web-based software solutions.
- Sale and recapitalization of a leading chain of fast casual restaurants.
- Numerous “acqui-hire” transactions for development-stage software and technology businesses.
- Acquisition of a digital marketing business by a global advertising firm.
- Sale of a leading religious publishing business.
- Sale of a software and data analytics service provider and producer of guide publications for the agricultural industry.
- Proposed acquisition of a leading US-based retail and home goods business by a prospective international investor.
- Acquisition of the business of a regional distributor by a leading manufacturer of delicatessen and supermarket meats, poultry, cheeses and other products.
Venture Capital and Emerging Companies
- Numerous investments for a leading venture capital fund focused on the “better for you” food and beverage space.
- Numerous investments in tech-enabled healthcare businesses.
- Numerous investments in fast-growing restaurant concepts for a leading industry-focused venture capital fund.
- Investment in a SaaS provider of web-based talent management systems and HR tools.
- Investment in digital advertising software platform focused on content measurement and distribution.
- Investment in a telemedicine platform focused on female professionals and pre-and post-maternity solutions
- Multiple investments in a vendor risk management and cyber threat analytics software company.
- investment in, and the subsequent recapitalization of, a cybersecurity company focused on endpoint intelligence, detection and response solutions.
- Multiple investments in a developer of a single-cell multiplexing immunoassay and software suite focused on cancer-related applications.
- Investment in, and the ultimate sale of, a unified marketing measurement SaaS company that allows marketers to optimize marketing budgets with greater speed and agility.
- Organizational matters, convertible debt and growth equity financing transactions for numerous early-stage life sciences, biotech and pharmaceutical companies.
- Private fundraising transactions, various commercial and intellectual property matters and general corporate governance matters for numerous apparel industry clients.
- Sale of various venture capital fund investments in the context of negotiated exits and secondary sale transactions.
- Establishment of investment vehicles by groups of high net worth individuals.
Miscellaneous Food, Beverage and Hospitality
- Restaurant management, licensing and consulting transactions for numerous internationally acclaimed chefs and restaurant groups.
- International and regional licensing transactions for various restaurant/café concepts.
- Investments in numerous franchised restaurant concepts.
- Investments and general commercial advice for a direct to consumer prepared foods business.
- Holding company reorganization and financing/recapitalization transactions for various food, beverage and hospitality businesses.
- General advice on corporate and intellectual property structure and strategy.
- “Indemnification and Other Risk Allocation Provisions in Private Merger Transactions: Reassessing Best Practices after Delaware Chancery Court Opinion in Cigna Health,” Client Alert, May 14, 2015
- Listed among Super Lawyers Metro New York “Rising Stars” (2015-2017)