Michael Weinstein focuses his practice on restructurings and bankruptcy, advising distressed entities and individuals, acquirers of distressed assets, and holders of debt of distressed entities. Having represented numerous creditors, debtors, and bankruptcy trustees, he is a strong advocate for his clients and is adept at developing strategies and managing the process throughout the engagement. Well versed in the Bankruptcy Code and Bankruptcy Rules, Michael recognizes the value that creativity can play in developing effective strategies to pursue his clients’ objectives. An essential part of his representation is a thorough understanding of his client’s business and goals, as well as his adversaries’ claims and motivations. Michael appreciates bankruptcy work as a crossroads of many legal disciplines, often involving litigation, asset sales, and restructurings and workouts, as well as the implementation of court-approved bankruptcy plans.
Michael also has extensive experience in the acquisition, disposition, and financing of office, retail, residential, and industrial properties throughout the United States.
- South Side House, LLC; represented Chapter 11 trustee
- Simkar; represented unsecured creditors committee
- Legion N.A. Investments Ltd; represented foreign liquidators of Chapter 15 debtor
- Liddle & Robinson; represented Chapter 11 trustee
- Lehr Construction Corporation; represented Chapter 11 trustee
- LandAmerica 1031 Exchange Services, Inc.; represented trustee of post-confirmation liquidation trust
- The 1031 Tax Group LLC; et al; represented Chapter 11 and post-confirmation trustee
- Boart Longyear; represented Indenture trustee
- Horsehead Holdings Corp.; represented indenture trustee
- Extended Stay LLC; represented bondholders
- “Second Circuit Issues Significant Decision in Madoff Case,” Client Alert, January 16, 2014
- “Win for Directors and Officers: MF Global Court Rules Insurance Proceeds Not Property of Bankruptcy Estate,” Client Alert, November 24, 2014
Awards & Recognitions
- Named a Super Lawyers “Rising Star” (2016, 2018-2022)
Education & Honors
- Wake Forest University School of Law, J. D.
- Tulane University, B. A.
Prior Work Experience
- McDermott, Will and Emery
- State of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York