Martin S. Hyman
Mr. Hyman is a general commercial litigator who, for more than 40 years, has represented private and public companies, athletes, physicians, authors, entertainers and artists, in a wide range of cases from inception through trial and appeal. He counsels clients in a variety of industries, including consumer electronics, sports and entertainment, banking and other financial services, retailing, insurance, food, chemicals, health care, fashion, luxury goods, cosmetics, publishing and trade associations.
- Represented a nationally-recognized news anchor against a major news network, resulting in one of the largest reported settlements in a single-plaintiff sexual harassment case.
- Represented a nationally-recognized news reporter and program host in a gender and disability discrimination and retaliation suit against a major news network, resulting in a settlement.
- Represented a major financial services company in obtaining dismissal of an antitrust complaint filed by a foreign corporation in federal court in Virginia
- Represented various companies in connection with internal investigations into allegations of discrimination.
- Obtained dismissals of claims against a major credit card licensor in lawsuits arising from highly publicized data breaches.
- Represented major food companies in obtaining settlements and dismissals of putative consumer class actions.
- Represented a major food company in obtaining a jury verdict of non-liability in a Title VII case filed in federal court in Florida.
- Represented a major food manufacturer in a dismissal of a nine-count counterclaim in a contract and trademark infringement action filed in federal court in Virginia.
- Represented a major consumer electronics company in a summary judgment in a breach of contract/warranty action filed in state court in Ohio.
- Represented a Hall of Fame baseball player in an infringement action filed in federal court in New York, which resulted in a preliminary injunction in the client’s favor.
- Represented an international consumer electronics company in obtaining reversal of a multi-million dollar jury verdict and subsequent dismissal of all claims in a contract and tort action filed in state court in California (unanimously affirmed on appeal).
- Obtained a permanent injunction after trial against an international soccer organization in a case filed in federal court in New York (case subsequently settled).
- Obtained a summary judgment dismissing all tort and contract claims in an action filed in federal court in Minnesota (unanimously affirmed on appeal).
- Obtained a multi-million dollar partial summary judgment for a sports licensing agent in an action against a professional athletes association in state court in New York (unanimously affirmed on appeal; remainder of case settled).
- Represented a major international dental products manufacturer in federal court in New York in the dismissal of a proceeding to compel arbitration.
- “Arbitration of Workplace Sexual Harassment and Discrimination Claims”, November 14, 2016, New York Law Journal
- Quoted in Vanity Fair Hive – “You Will Lose Everything: Inside the Media’s #MeToo Blacklist,” April 16, 2019
- “Sexual Harassment in the #MeToo Era,” All in Together conference – Atlantic City, September 2018
- Panelist, “Courageous Plaintiffs,” National Employment Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, San Antonio, Texas, June 2017
- Speaker/panelist at numerous CLE and Bar Association programs dealing with depositions, expert discovery, customs regulation, sports licensing and the role of the media in high profile cases
- New York State Bar Association (4-term member of House of Delegates)
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Pro Bono Panel, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- Named among New York Super Lawyers since 2008.